The analogy shown here is similar to that of iron filings orienting themselves to a magnet. The magnetic force here is what we may call will power. Using will power we direct all the neuronal energy towards a specific object. Perfect concentration would be when you become the object itself or feel that ‘you are the object’.
Jnana yoga talks about this in much greater detail.
Another way to look at breathing meditation is that, a surprising fact: If you think about your hand, and at that instant or moment its there, before that you had no awareness it existed. If you choose to only think about the sensation of your right hand, then you would essentially only be your right hand, till you decide to change your thought. So in essence what this could mean is that, the body is just a machine which you are responsible for. So the “You” is not the body. What happens in deep sleep? your body is still alive during this period. I guess what we commonly refer to as “you” is our experience or observation of anything. I do not observe anything about my little toe until I have a thought about it/decide to think about/feel it. So the little toe is not me by definition.
At times while falling asleep we notice that we get lost in thoughts. During this period we have no awareness of the body until we snap back to it by a jolting sound etc. So we could assume, that you were too busy with the thoughts and not aware of the body at all. If extended further, you cannot be your thoughts since someone is observing the thoughts. So the “You” or “I” is something else altogether, maybe in some other dimension. It might just be pure awareness.
So, in breathing meditation I guess what we essentially do is gather all the awareness and focus it on the nostrils.
Diagram: Supposing the yellow, orange and blue represent increasing level of forces pulling the mind towards them. The blue might indicate some important college/office work pending, orange – wanting to eat something, yellow – just a faint feeling. In breathing meditation we relax the body enough that its signals become extremely subtle. This allows us to move all our attention to whatever part we want i.e. nose.
If this is mastered you have separated the concentration/awareness force from its objects. It’s like distillation of water. Preoccupations, desires are contaminants. Imagine the kind of power if this force is completed isolated. Almost all inventions of mankind were based on concentration. So you are isolating that force and you have complete freedom to use it wherever you want since you have freed it from all its obligations. Its like having a rifle in your hand when everyone else is fighting with sticks.
In nature, everything seems to have an equilibrium state. Like say levels of water, electricity from higher potential to lower potential.
I have always wondered what would happen if we just do nothing, no effort absolutely, what would happen to the mind? what would it reveal? would it liberate us? Is this what meditation is mostly about?
Every single day/moment, I’m always expending effort towards something or the other. If I’m physically still then mentally I start moving more. According to me continuous thinking can only happen with effort, that means we are habitually putting some effort into accomplishing this. What if I completely drop all effort?Just let go with absolutely no judgment?
I think definitely something seriously profound would be revealed if the mind reaches its true equilibrium. Maybe it would separate us clearly from the mind, because the mind would simply become imperceptible because of almost 0 activity. It might even reveal if the mind is a mere illusion because of the continuous effort we put into it.
I get interesting insights when I think of our body and mind like systems in nature. We have limited reward chemicals in our body and they need to replenish too after they are used. No matter what happens, we will always come back to some kind of equilibrium. For e.g.: If we keep doubling our money, our pleasure return would exponentially decrease. This also means, if you are terribly depressed and you just stop thinking or paying attention to any thought, the mind would come back to equilibrium since your putting no effort. Maybe we are all no different from any plant or animal, and power, money, morals, intelligence etc. are all just hyped out illusions which have many smaller illusion layers supporting them.
1. Initially when I tried I just couldn’t even move. Walking from one end to the other was really difficult and I fell down many times. The legs/foot had to kept extremely tensed to prevent falling. It was just unbelievable how people were doing it with such ease.
2. Then in the 2nd day, I was much better, but still my legs would hurt, I would go fairly slow and was still tensing the legs. I was also falling now and then because of the balance going off.
3. I read that the body’s gyro takes some time to adjust and after that it would be smooth. I still found it unbelievable even at that stage. But surprisingly, each time I tried after that, there was continuous improvement. After the 4th time I could skate fairly fast but i couldn’t life my feet off the ground. Just glide. But this made turning very difficult and the shins would start hurting in a short while.
4. After this I decided to slow down again and try lifting my leg with each step and lengthening the time. I did this really slow for a while. After a while, I got the flow and I could increase speed. Even the legs were relaxed and it felt much smoother.
I was just wondering if this same analogy applies to any activity that we take up….
Reality is still a sort of mystery when we look into things like
1. Our brain just interprets electrical signals from the narrow frequency bands that is captured by each of the 5 senses. Based on this collective experience, reality is defined and patterns are established
2. In dreams/lucid dream we are deceived so easily into believing what we see as reality until we wake up
These 2 facts alone can loosen up our reality concept(material world) to an extent.
Maybe there is nothing material about the world we perceive. Maybe objectively, everything is just some sort of vibrations or crazy high frequencies and in the frequency bands at which our senses work, we perceive this form of reality.
Maybe this unified vibrational field is speeding up. In linear time a few centuries might have passed, but in a different perspective it may be exponential. After all what do we perceive as time, there are mechanical systems in your watch, that make the hands move. What if every atom/molecule starts vibrating faster. What if the entire solar system starts moving faster. Time perception is relative, so we would still calculate the speed of planets relatively and feel that the speed of time is the same. The quality of our measurement depends upon the measuring instruments, so we cannot measure things that alter things globally which includes all the instruments.
Maybe we are witnessing this unexpected technological/intellectual revolution because this vibrational frequency has gone up which means every single atom/molecule is vibrating faster. So this translates into faster thinking, faster inventions, faster change, higher IQs and faster evolution. Vibrational time has just speed-ed up.
There is something about this sense of wonder that feels out of this world. Its something most people lose in childhood. Its truly a priceless experience.
Here are some different ideas that would make us feel small and re-ignite a sense of wonder:
– How small we are physically in front of the size of the physical universe
– We see, hear, smell only a small frequency band….which extends in infinity in both directions
– Our physical reality/material world is actually the denser vibration of solidity, which is where we spend our lives in, subatomic particles vibrate even faster than light and neither their speed nor position can be predicted
– We pay attention(mind) only to a small fraction of the this limited sensory input itself
– And this mind fits things into the concepts we have proved with this extremely narrow knowledge which means cognitive distortions, habits, tendencies which means we an even smaller fraction of the fraction of sensory input perceived.
– We perceive only 3D and 4D only from moment to moment, imagine all the 11 dimensions in concept and think about how expansive it is